On May 4, 2015, AMPed presented its first A-Lister’s Panel Night featuring recent QUT graduates in dream jobs. It feels like yesterday that we were joined by four fantastic panelists:
- Soojee Ford, Creative Director at Comm One;
- Ebony Bunz, soon to be Executive Account Manager at Corbin-Hillman Communications New York;
- Taylor Fielding, Account Executive at JuniorCru; and
- Chiara Barbera, Consultant at Rowland
who shed some light on the myths, tips, and realities of finding that dream graduate job.
The night kicked off with registration where members were able to connect over a pizza feast provided by Domino’s Pizza Mogul.
As the night progressed, it was clear everyone was enlightened and inspired by the panelists. Some of the key takeaways included:
1. “GPA is pointless!” – Ebony
All of the panelists agreed employers valued experience over GPA.
2. “Trust your gut.” – Soojee
Soojee emphasised the importance of trusting your instinct when making university, internship and career decisions.
3. “For internships, earlier is always better, even if it’s only for one day!” – Taylor
Real world experience is invaluable and getting started as soon as possible with your internships is extremely important. This experience is what employers are looking for.
4. “Persistence is key.”- Chiara
Do not be disheartened if you are not chosen for internships or graduate positions. If you persevere and continue to put yourself out there, all your hard work will pay off eventually.
After the panel concluded, it was great to see members applying their learnings immediately by connecting with the panelists and exchanging contact details! The night ended on a social note, with members making their way down to the Botanic Bar to celebrate the successful evening.
AMPed’s semester two panel night with industry decision makers is happening on Thursday, October 8. For more information and to secure your place, check out the Facebook event.